Thursday, April 28, 2011

Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani

This evening I was tracking an idea (at least I thought I was) through the letter to the Hebrews. Now before I begin, let me tell you a little bit about how I read the bible when I'm after something. My translation of choice is the English Standard Version (ESV), for a couple reasons, but one of them is the simple fact that it's heavily footnoted. The translators were very careful to note where a translation might be in question or uncertain. They also were very good about citing passages throughout the new testament where the writer is referencing or alluding to an old testament writing. When I come across a foot note, I make sure to pay attention. In the instances where the footnote points to an old testament writing, I finish reading the thought the writer of the New Testament text is making, and then I go track down the passage they're referencing so I can get a proper perspective on what the writer might be saying. Many people in Israel at the time of Christ had memorized a substantial portion of the Scriptures, so when someone would drop a phrase or portion of Scripture, even if it was incomplete, the listener would be able to fill in the rest to understand the point the speaker was making. This is called an allusion. For instance, in Matthew's Gospel account, in chapter 3 when John the Baptist drops the passage from Isaiah “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord; make his paths straight'”, the lister in that day, would have heard that, and filled in the rest of that passage in Isaiah. Take a look at Isaiah 40:1-5, and see if that sheds a new light on what John is saying here.

So back to my “pursuit” in Hebrews, I was tracking a thought that I had had a few days previous. So I began in chapter 2, and after a time of unfruitful searching and following foot notes, I came back to verse 12 which contains a passage from the Psalms that I had not followed because I didn't think it spoke to the idea that I was after. So, having exhausted all other avenues, I thought I would follow the note I'd skipped. The allusion the writer uses here is from Psalm 22, so I turned to Psalm 22 to read it in its entirety to gain perspective on what the writer was saying. Let me say here that I don't spend much time in the Psalms, so I was unaware of what Psalm 22 said, though after reading it, I'm sure it's one of the most widely known Psalms simply because of it's prophetic nature. So I begin reading Psalm 22, and the very first words of the Psalm say “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”. At this moment, I stop dead in my tracks. I've heard this before. In Matthew 27:6, Jesus is on the cross, and it says “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a load voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” If we can take one thing from all the accounts of Jesus speaking, its that he does not use words idly. When He speaks, he puts every word exactly where He wants it, exactly when he wants it. So what does this mean? Why does Jesus quote Psalm 22 here?

Psalm 22 is the prophetic Psalm that contains the prophesy that His hands and feet will be pierced, his bones will not be broken, he would be mocked, the soldiers would divide up his clothing. At this moment in time in the life of Jesus, this prophesy is being fulfilled. We can see that, the people around him can see that, and that's precisely why Jesus says this. If you're not familiar with Psalm 22, take some time right now and read through it once or twice. I'll wait.

Jesus quotes this Psalm, not to point people to what is going on. They can see with their own eyes that he's suffering, that he is being pierced and that his garments are being divided up. But what they don't see is the rest of Psalm 22.

For those witnessing the crucifixion of Jesus, and then hearing him quote Psalm 22 while it's being fulfilled, would have filled in all the rest of the Psalm. I'm looking specifically at verses 27-31. If one is witnessing the first half of a scripture being fulfilled, exactly, right in front of you, I would assume one would naturally assume that second half will come to pass as well. For the Jews at this point, this extraordinarily exciting! If they got it, “they shall come and proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn, that he has done it. GOD HAD DONE IT! The afflicted will now eat and be satisfied; their hearts will live forever! All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD. Kingship now belongs to the LORD and he rules over all nations. This is very, very good news.

So when Jesus utters these words on the Cross, it's not just a cry out to God, it's a call to all who have ears to hear. He's pointing people toward the reality of what's actually going on. Jesus is buying their freedom. With this simple phrase, he says “Listen up folks, look at what's happening. There's something here that you have to see.” And for those there in that moment who heard this and connected the dots, their world exploded and their paradigm was turned upside down. In just one instant, with only four words, for those people that got it, Jesus changed everything!

God I pray that as we search your Word, you will lead us to connect the dots. Give us eyes to see so that we can see what you're up to. God help us to see, so that with only a few words, spoken at the right time in the right place, you will change everything!

No comments: